It’s amazing how fast time flies by. Fuqua’s 2014-2015 application process has been available for a while now, and the deadline for its Early Action round is fast approaching.
- Early Action – September 17, 2014.
- Round1 – October 20, 2014.
- Round 2 – January 5, 2015.
- Round 3 – March 19, 2015.
Overall, prospective students will be asked to complete 3 short answers and 2 essay questions. The applications is very similar to last year’s, so no surprises there.
- SA1 – What are your short-term goals, post-MBA? (250 characters)
- SA2 – What are your long-term goals? (250 characters)
- SA3 – Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered? (250 characters)
- E1 – The “Team Fuqua” spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of “25 Random Things About Yourself.” As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire’s professional and academic background, so learning these “25 Random Things” helps us get to know someone’s personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of “25 Random Things” about YOU. (2 pages limit)
- E2 – Choose only 1 of the following 2 essay questions to answer. Your response should be no more than 2 pages in length.
When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.
The Team Fuqua community is as unique as the individuals who comprise it. Underlying our individuality are a number of shared ideas and principles that we live out in our own ways. Our students have identified and defined 6 “Team Fuqua Principles” that we feel are the guiding philosophies that make our community special. At the end of your 2 years at Fuqua, if you were to receive an award for exemplifying one of the 6 Principles listed below, which one would it be and why? Your response should reflect the research you have done, your knowledge of Fuqua and the Daytime MBA program and experience, and the types of activities and leadership you would engage in as a Fuqua student. (2 pages limit)
- Optional Essay – If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay. (2 pages limit)
- Re-applicant Essay – It is not uncommon for it to take more than one try to achieve a goal. Please share with us the self-reflection process that you underwent after last year’s application and how you have grown as a result. How did it shape your commitment to Fuqua and inspire your decision to reapply? (2 pages limit)
With this application process, Fuqua is once again emphasizing the importance of the applicant’s fit to the school and its core values. Make sure you clearly address each question and explain what makes you a unique candidate.
One last piece of advice. The “25 random things” essay is one of the most important ones. Even while in school, people will ask you to share one random fact about yourself from this essay. Make sure you make it personal and that you show your true self.
Feel free to drop me an email in case you have any questions about the application process: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information has been published in Fuqua’s website.